Friday, January 8, 2021

Friday's Finds.....

 

 I did find enough stuff to fill all the spaces. 


A bowl with lots of  history is now holding diet Jello. The bowl was my grandmothers who lived in southern Iowa on a farm. She made jello for every family get together.  I remember seeing it on the big table of many food items brought in by my mom's family for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  The room was a low ceiling room and the table was stretched out with many boards to make it big enough to hold all the chicken and noodles and other traditional foods of the 1960's.  This is the same bowl my grandmother proudly brought in from the refrigerator in her old kitchen with no running water.


This is that table that was in the old T-shaped farmhouse near Murray, Iowa. I am sure the boards used to make it bigger probably did not match the table. Rumors of the family were the table was given to her by a neighbor lady along the way. 


The walnut table has a burl wood grain on the one side leaf. I bet originally the table had a dark varnish on it that looks like the legs now. One other thing I do know about the table is that Woodburn, Iowa is stamped on the underneath side of the table rails. Grandma Brooks gave me this  while I was in college as she had been given a newish formic topped table with chrome legs and matching chairs. Woodburn still exist as a very small town east of Osecola, Ia. I am guessing the table is way over one hundred years old by now.


I did finally capture a shot of him.  He was around a couple of times so I moved my suet up to the deck so I could see him. It is the only woodpecker that I have seen as we are not in a wooded area.  I did hear an owl hooting two nights ago coming from our blue spruce tree. I listened to sounds on the net and it must have been a great horned owl.  I wonder what they eat over the winters.  Maybe small birds but there are no rodents running around in the winter.

We will not get above freezing today. We have to make an run to the post office today so I will prewarm the car first. I hate getting out in this cold anymore.  Our one grandson did finally get his Christmas present from us. It was slow moving or sent out late by the company. One last thing still has not arrived for our grand daughter. She will like it when she does finally get it. 

Thanks for checking in today........

4 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Your grandmothers bowl is lovely. I hope the jello is a good tasting treat for you. I love the minis in your cabinet, the little pig is my fav. Those tables are real treasures. It was around 37 here today with heavy rain. John had an appt about an hour away and it was a difficult drive for me.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

The bowl is great and what memories. The table is awesome! Good pieces with family history!

Rose said...

I bet that table could tell some tells! How I would love to be able to listen to them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Jello!! My grandmother always had it too! I hated it when it melted and it colored my mashed potatoes:(