Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Glass Insulators revisited........


I have blogged before about the one blue glass insulator that I found in my cupboard.  I knew I had more of these and I did find them.  As a review, the insulator was screwed onto a wooden stake.  They were placed in a horizontal row and placed on telephone or electric poles.

The company that made all of these was Hemingray.  The blue one that I have says it had a patent pending in 1892.


Here is an arrangement of them showing how the bottoms of them were all made a little differently.


I believe this is the oldest one of all of them due to it's straight forward design.  It is simple and their is no flair on it like all the others have.


Most of them have the beaded bubble shapes at the bottom but this one is less decorative or pronounced than the others.

I know that I have probably shared more here than was necessary but this is the total review of my set.  It was a fascinating time in our history to have wires attached to these glass shapes to keep them from grounding out.  They did insulate the wires and they were almost decorative as you viewed them from below as you traveled down the road.

Thanks for stopping by..........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great collection Larry. The first job my brother (Larry) had out of high school was with Georgia Power and I learned about these from him.

Far Side of Fifty said...

They served a purpose...and if you glue a curtain ring or some other small wooden ring to the Top, you can flip them over and they will stand up straight and be candle holders:)