Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesday's tattle and prattle.........


Yes, it is true that I have seven new violets which are developing into mature plants and I have three or four more that are mature plants.  What I didn't have though was this color of African violet in my collection.  It looks more red than it should be here but I will share it looking like this anyway.  I found it at The Home Depot in a grouping of dozens of plants.  They had them in a room with failing orchids and the doors were leaking cold air rapidly into the room.  The majority were not blooming because of the poor temperatures but I found this one that looked promising.  I brought it home, watered it with fertilizer and warmed it up.  It loves now being in a warm climate. One would think that the store would know that too.



While checking my water pan that I keep open for the birds and the feral cats in the neighborhood,  I looked up and saw this scene.  It looks like the wrens will need me to hang this up before spring. The apple tree is holding it with all it's arms to keep it off the ground.




I really didn't get a focus on these guys,  I didn't have a coat on and it was below zero out there on the porch.  I was doing a heebies jeebies dance because the cold was so painful when I got back inside the house. 

It is a typical winter here in Iowa but for some reason I am not accepting it very well this year.  We had three times the amount of snow last year and we had weeks below freezing last year but I just don't like it this year.  We went to a mall on Sunday afternoon instead of watching the game and it was nice to be there.  The pain that we felt though from the cold air that had developed while we were in the mall, made me wish to have just stayed home.   We spent a couple hours at the bookstore and it was a nice quiet time with books.  I bought a planning calendar which was now very inexpensive that had wonderful photos of plants and animals in it. It is an Audubon daily calender.




Let's just face it!!!!!

Let's face it, we get so busy that we forget to keep track of our anniversaries.  On February 3rd, two years and five days ago,  I wrote my very first blog.   I didn't post a picture as I didn't know how.  In fact I posted the second blog the same day and the picture I posted must have been deleted by mistake.  I didn't have followers back then.  In fact I don't think I had comments for months.

So here I am starting my third year at blogging.  I intended to consolidate two of my blogs into one, but I don't want to abandoned either one of them. Four blogs is a crazy way to live.  I guess I could start a new journey,  but I would loose all my followers.   Maybe,  just maybe, I will just rename the one blog and just keep writing on with that one and try to funnel the Photo a Day people onto the one Creative Zone.  You will just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks to you all for your loyal following.  I know a lot of you are out there following this crazy old coot even if you are not posting comments.  Thanks for tolerating me when I should just shut up my mouth.  I will hang in there,  if I survive this  #&*(^$#@ winter.
Later..............

6 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, congrats on your blogging anniversary, which coincidentally was also my birthday! Thanks for your visits to our blogs; do feel free to drop in anytime. Yes, the little bird house will need some work before it gets new inhabitants this spring.

Karen said...

That violet is gorgeous!! You and I started blogging about the same time. Maybe I will become a photographer and learn to post my own pictures! Have a blessed day!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a pretty African Violet. It does sound cold there, we've been cold but nowhere near that. No snow for quite awhile, but that's fine with me.
Happy Blogaversary! I've enjoyed following your blog.

Sunny said...

Happy Blogaversary!
Your Violet is lovely, I have no luck with them at all.
I'm familiar with the heebies jeebies dance, I've done it myself a few times...I'm so ready for spring!
☼ Sunny

Rae said...

You have a wonderful blog and I enjoy stopping by for a visit. I am guilty of not always leaving a comment, but I always like to read what you have to say everyday and see your lovely photos. Congratulations on your blogging anniversary.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Year 3 Anniversary Larry!!..I am so glad I found you as you brighten up my days! I love your take on things..and your treasures which you so kindly share with all of us. Look how far you have come..especially your photography..it has been a great work in progress to follow..Thanks Larry:)