Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday's two's.............and a plate.


 These two ceramic pieces came to our house when my father in law moved in to live with us.  I went back to his house after he moved in and tried to find things he had sitting around in his living room that might make him feel more at home with us. That was probably nine years ago so things don't always get remember that far back.

I found his tractor models and his horses on shelves.  I also found these birds.   I never notice that they looked just alike.  I just grabbed things and put them in a box and set them around in his room.



These two birds were there also, so I had grabbed them to bring home.  Now years later,  I asked my wife about them and she said they were not family items.  She believed they must have been auction sale items that he picked up in his boxes that he bought.  I do know that we have a blue willow platter that he found in one of his boxes and below he found a set of four  or five plates.


These auction plates were in a box of many things which he paid a dollar for the taking.  We later found these to be Indian Tree hand tinted plates worth a lot of money.  There is one other pattern out there that is done in mostly browns and oranges.

Substitute teaching is getting to be an old habit for me.  I was a Science teacher on Monday and an English teacher on Tuesday.  The Special Education room needs me for Wednesday.   I get off early Wednesday as the teachers have a workshop in the afternoon. 

Thanks for stopping by.........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing these pretty treasures. Those plates are amazing!

My sis substitute teaches elementary school and enjoys the variety. Today, she said they had sugar and more sugar for their Valentine party!

Rae said...

I like them all especially the canary bird statues. They remind me of a pair my mother used to have.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Beautiful plate, Larry, too pretty to even think of eating dinner on.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How very sweet of you to take the time to surround your loved one with familiar items.
Those little birds are a cute pair, and the plate is just gorgeous.
I always thought I would enjoy being a substitute teacher, just now and again though :)
Hope your week is going well.
~Jo