Thursday, November 29, 2018

Thursdays' Things......


The sun now rises over the rooftops of my neighbor’s house. The vents sort of contradict the idea that I could call them mountains. It isn’t a very impressive sunrise but seeing the sun is the greatest thing this time of the year.


Unusual cloud formations in the afternoon suggested the cool and warm air was swirling around up there. We are not too warm yet but I guess freezing and above without wind is better than what we could be having.

The biggest tree that I have is out in the yard.  I would love to put lights on it but that would be an overwhelming task.  I could hire a landscaping crew to come in but I think that would be too much over the top.

The angel tree went up yesterday afternoon with every ornament that I could find  in the boxes in the storeroom. We didn’t take to much time to put it up with us both at it at the same time. It has a new location in the window so people in the back can also see it.  Our largest tree will now go in front of the opposite window. That tree has to be assembled. I will be scrambling to find all the boxes in whicht the tree limbs were placed. This is actually the second year for us to be in our newer home.

The angel tree works well here as the collection of free standing angles can go under the tree.  I think I have all of them brought up but I wouldn’t be surprise another will show up on the shelves down stairs.

The neighbor hood too advantage of the warmer weather during the Thanksgiving break.  One can see a lot of decorated trees in the windows as well as on the houses porches and fronts.

My carry-over poinsettia is putting out some red leaves this year.  I don’t know how showy it will be but it is nice to see something from it.  I may buy another one in a different color later on in the season.  I won’t buy the ones with glitter and spray color on them. We had a neighbor friend who hated poinsettias.  She had worked at a nursing home and every patient's room had multiple plants in them for a very long time. She then had a long time watching them all die down as the were taken care of correctly.

I will take all my houseplants to the basement windows while the trees occupy the living room windows. I won’t take the Christmas cactus down as it is the season for them. It may find a place on the dining room table or close by in the living room.

The plant is a magical one when I remember my grandmother having them in her cave and then would bring them out for Christmas. The very first show from The Walton’s showed grandma bringing her cactus up from the cave with it all in bloom.  I suspect that it was a fake one but it made for a good story.


My amaryllis too a dive a couple of days ago and all the blooms are now gone.  I took it downstairs for a while to give it time to grow foliage. I may pick up a red one when they go on sale just because it is fun to see them bloom.

I have plenty of things on my list today to do.  I don’t know which chore will be on top of the list this morning.  All of the chores will require me to go up and down our stairs many times.  It will be my cardio workout for the day.

Thank you all for checking in on my posting today.

1 comment:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Your trees are magical Larry, and you've got a head start on the season !
Rain here today, no outside decorating I'm afraid.
~Jo