Monday, March 18, 2019

Monday Morning Moments......


The younger cardinal hangs around most days now.  If I keep tossing out sunflower seeds, he will come. He likes being on the deck floor and dances around while looking for seeds.

I will be watching to see if he gets paired up with a female.  He seems to be a juvenile if that is possible with birds. He had a cowbird joining him this morning on the deck. It is frosty and cold out there this morning. I did see a bird trying out the birdhouse that hangs below the deck. I need to move the birdhouse to a tree as things are going to be moved around with the deck this summer.

The very first set of growth from my tulip beds is showing up right next to the garage door. I was surprised but it is time for them to push up. I am always amazed how tulips do not freeze and grow during the time when snow is on top of them.  I have rhubarb up also but the photos didn’t look so good.


We had intersting cloud formations last Friday as our weather is transitioning to spring. The taller cloud does get larger.

The second story deck gives me a good way to observe things away from the house.  That tree at the base of the cloud photo is the large one that is up two house.  It is a large tree so you can tell how big the cloud formation appears. No rain ever developed with these clouds.

Our rivers are flooding now all around our area as the record levels from snow is now melting. The larger rivers on the edges of our state are above capacity as well as our local our Des Moines River.  It is strange flooding as the rains didn’t cause them but the snowmelt is continuing to dump lots of water into the creeks and streams building up the already flooded rivers. Because we were so cold from the polar vortex the ice buildup is so great as it breaks up that, the ice jams are everywhere.


This one brown headed cowbird was out on the deck this morning.  The male has the brown head but the female does not.  I am not sure that I could identify the females were around.  The look like a larger sparrow.

It is Monday and we have a bright sunny day.  That being said, it is very cold. Warming up to low 40s will be welcomed.  Thank you for checking in on my post today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes that looks like a juvenile Cardinal...either that or the molt did not go well. You are lucky to have them. Beautiful clouds...and tulips wow I can hardly wait for your to bloom:)

Rose said...

I so love your skies!!!!