Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Tuesday's Things......


I wasn't at first sure that I even liked it.  Now I realize that a box spring and mattress  will fill up the spaces at the ends and the back. I remember these parts as a bed, when the mattress and springs were high enough to be level with the spindles of the short foot pieces. The two back pieces will be covered up to bottom of the large head boards. I do think that I have room for a mattress at the bottom underneath.  I have the rollers for it that will raise it up three inches or more.  I am not in a hurry to get the thing finished but I am sure I can jut go to the Menards  and get everything all at one time.

I had papers down but was a little sloppy while I painted on things.  I needed to give it a new coat of paste wax with a steel wool application.
Grandma Brooks old table is solid walnut and has many years of history.  The first person who bought this got it at a store in Woodburn, Iowa. It has the name marked on the underneath side of the table.    

The person eventually gave it to my grandmother when she was newly married. I got the table from my grandmother in 1967.

The paste wax and steel wool did bring it back to life.  I need to clean up a couple of more places on the burl wood side piece. I didn't see them until I took the photo.

A different area where the tulips are coming up. next to the garage door  I was at the old place today and didn't see anything was up yet. It is farther northwest of our new place.  I did see I had a mole up there digging around in the yard.

I am feeling a lot better today. I am still taking it easy as I only picked up sticks from the yard this morning at the old place.  Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your project turned out really good! If it isn't tall enough for the trundle you can always add block of wood to the legs...with a bed skirt they will never show. Wonderful restoration project! Love your Tulips they are really pushing up!

Rose said...

I love how your project turned out...and I LOVE the story of your table. Wonderful that it has been in the family so long.