Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Sunday Report.....


Sunday afternoon and it is time to get this blog done. The churches in our area were encouraged not to meet this weekend so we watched it on online.  Things are pretty quiet as everyone is staying home. I made a grocery run yesterday during a time when less people were there. I didn't load my cart down but did get some of the loose ends that we couldn't live without.  We are baking a cake right now and I had to buy frosting.

I found out the origin of the plant stand. I knew the answer and yet didn't pull it out of my brain.  A man name Gustave Stickley learned how to  make chairs from his uncle in Wisconsin. He was young in the 1860s.  As he grew older he started designing modern furniture called Mission Style or Arts and Crafts.  He designed and he sold them successfully.  Most things were made from quarter sawed oak. Stickley also designed houses that look like all the bungalow houses we see all over the US.  His designs were also shared in a magazine that helped promote his product and houses.I am sure that Frank Lloyd Wright would have noticed he was an influence to his design.

I should have remembered seeing these stands in the Arts and Crafts Magazine. I look at every issue every month they come out in the bookstore.


The base is the same as a Stickley made from oak with some rough edges left They were quickly made and covered with dark stain. The assembly of the four small squares were glued to the corners and one brass screw was used to hold it in place.


This is quarter sawn wood as the oak is turned to a special angel to get the grain to look like this. I really do believe this is a Stickley piece of furniture. I saw one like this for sale on the net and its price is in the  low hundreds of dollars. I regret that I did not ask my mom where she got them.  There were two of them and my older brother should have the other one that he gave to his father-in-law.

We just received a call from our younger son who lives in Maine. He was sharing that his company was involved with the solution of the coronavirus. He works for Jackson Laboratories in Bar Harbor, Maine. They raise test mice in their laboratory that are used for research.  It is too complicated to explain but back in 2007 a chemist in University of Iowa had worked with this very same virus and he had frozen components that will help in the finding of the vaccine. His boss was on national tv being interview about the successes that they were having.   Other places area also working for solutions but I was pleased to see that my son and his wife are working at the laboratory that is going to help provide solutions.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear the news that your son is involved with a solution for this virus! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Forgot to say your fern stand looks great!