Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Tuesday's Trivia.......


It is beginning to look like a prison around here. I walked my back yard yesterday picking up all the loose newspapers that have blown in from up the hill. Things are looking better and more plants are shooting up out of the ground.

Everything is so green.  I have a peony pushing up back by the fence and the fernleaf peony is shooting up lots of stems. That will be the first of my peonies to bloom. These trees are so full of birds right now as they are deciding where to go to nest.








I always wonder if it is going to bloom. I doubt it but I can wish for it. A successful transplant that will look good there for years to come.

A lot of my tulips are up everywhere and I have globe alinum popping up too. My daffodils have buds on them in some locations. I did see a bud or two on the new red bud tree. I am awaiting to see if the voles killed out some of my spike flowers or even all of them. They sure made a mess in the plant area and then all over the yard.  I filled their tunnels under the snow with some  top soil a few days back.

The bottom section of my cabinet. It has the varnish drying enough that I could use steel wood and paste wax to finish it off.  An older lady way back when felt the surface of on of my tables and said you must now steel wool this surface with wood paste wax, and then polish. I did and have done so for the past 30 years on all my projects.



I removed the old wood of the backing and replaced it with wainscoting. It had to be glued together a couple of times before it works.  Varnish with walnut stain turned it into a good color.







I had planned this design for the wood pieces that I was using for the shelves.  All was going good until I cut one of the boards to short by a hair of an inch.  So I tried not to get too angry and designed one without any pencil and paper.  I had limited amount of wood strips that were recycled from the original backing.

My new design actually ended up lookingm ore like an arts and crafts sesing than the more modern one that was on paper. I had another disgusting experience trying to get them glued and stable. After they fell apart about two times, I finally figured it out and did it.





I like it just as much as the paper plan and I did get to use more of the recycle pile. I had to do some subtle engineering parts to get it to all stay togetther as one shelf piece. I should nail in small nails from behind into the boards to make it really secure.  I am not sure that I want to take the chance.  I will live with it for a while.

I was messing with it and prim and proper working on it and then told myself., it is suppose to look rustic.









It has come a long way.  I didn't even know that it would be made of walnut until I got some of the junk and dirt off of the surface. I made the decision to make this the top part even though I am betting that this was originally the bottom. The angles suggest that it would look more like support bracketing if the had angled it.  While gluing and assembling the shelf parts I just made a decision as to which end that I wanted up.




 A little more spot waxing over touch up areas and this will be done.  I don't know which floor of the house it will be displayed or if I will hang it on the wall or put it on a table. I know now that I won't show this again until I have select pieces of art, pottery and antiques to go into the little cubbies. No glass door is going to be installed as it is not a square piece, having lain out in a barn near cow stanchions on a very dirty floor.

I am going a little stir crazy now but I can look forward to supper.  I am getting irritated at new people and all the dumb things they say.  We keep adding more people to our sick list.  We have a nursing home that was just tested for the virus and 26 or more now are carriers. I haven't seen a new count today but it will keep enlarging.  I am glad that a test is out there now where it takes less the 14 minutes to know the results. We seem to be germ free at this time.  I hope everyone else is being careful out there.  Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your grass is so green soon you will have to mow! Your project sure turned out nice. Good to hear that you are both well:)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a good first photo in this post, Larry, as it does get the point across so well. Many folks feel the same way these days. I like the rustic look of the cabinet. Its good to have indoor projects mire than ever now.