Sunday, April 23, 2023

New Mourning Doves......


 The closeup shot makes it look bigger than it really is.  Our mourning dove pair have hatched out three new ones just recently.  The young ones are smaller but will probably be the same size as adults in a couple of weeks. 


The bird on the left is one of the newly hatched ones.  They were scurrying around on the deck looking for fallen nyjer thistle seed from the sock earlier. 



It looks more like a mob now rather than a thoughtfully placed display of colored glass.  I will remove some of them and put them back on the storage rack in the garage.  The vases are nice to have ready for any flowers I can cut and bring inside. 



I watched a gardening show yesterday and the guy showed all the variety of pots one could buy for flowers.  It inspired me to get mine out and see what I could do with them this summer.  I have one that I replanted and older begonia into for it to revive. I have three large square ones in the storage shed also that I bought on a very cheap sale six or seven years ago.  I think they were two bucks a piece.



I had this dumb cane in a large pot and it was time to cut it all off and throw away all the roots and dead stems.  It freed up a big pot for planting outside. I am hoping they will root and I can get a new start of the plant again.  It is one of those plants that gets to leggy and tall and then it all falls down looking pretty sad at most. 



I bought this for yellow goldfinches.  I haven't seen any.  If it is like last year, I had a couple for about three days and then they were gone.  I still blame the development of a large meadow that was turned into houses causing us to lose some of our special kinds of birds.  I have photos from our first years here with chickadees, lots of goldfinch, and other smaller birds other than sparrows. It was said that deer lived in that meadow also.  It was just a block south of us and now it is filled with rows of tall houses.  Some are three stories in height when you count the exposed basements. 


We are having a quiet Sunday.  The sunshine looks good but it isn't that warm yet. I hope everyone has a restful day which I am planning on doing. Thanks for checking in today.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Nice! It snowed and sleeted yesterday and I was hoping for some nice weather today but no...more cold and yucky stuff.

I'm taking some time to go explore one of our county parks. It is dreary out so it seems to be a good day to go and get fresh air...with a set of long johns!

I potted a lot of flowers in pails that last few years. I may not do that this year, just to see if I miss it.

Have a great day.