Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Wild Wednesday......with Happiness.


 

Our overnight rain storm didn't seem to damage the daffs.  I think we had small hail but it didn't last for long.  



Happiness is when your burning bush survives the rabbits and the past winter weather.  I am not going to unwire this for a while as the leaves must be really tasty to the rabbits.  They trimmed it up last summer from top to bottom and it was a brand new purchase. It looked sad all summer.



Happiness too is the iris that has come back from it's initial planting from last year.  It looked tough all year and I kept watering it thinking it was dead.  I don't even know the color of the blooms. t I will welcome new blooms. I was so surprised to see this do this rapid growth and look unhindered.



I am also glad to see the Rembrandt tulips starting to bloom.  There are many more to bloom so these are just the first blooms. 



My final happiness to share is the fern leaf peony.  It has eight buds on it and hopefully most of them do bloom.  The plant has a tendency to form buds and they then some just shrink up.  I guess the drought last year brought that on for me.  This plant has a lot of history coming from my mom's yard. She had stolen or borrowed her start from a renter's house next door.  I have moved it twice now and given so many starts of it to so many people.  The old place had lots of it and the neighbor lady took three plants of it to line her driveway.  I have some in Minnesota and others in Murray, Iowa.  

The day seems to be a nice one but we do have strong storms predicted.  Rain does make the grass grow and I may have to mow on Friday or Saturday. I would rather it get too tall before I do my first mowing.  I am not sure why.   I saw two different yards being mowed yesterday. Thanks for checking in today.

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I love that fern leaf peony, it is so unique.

My tulips did nothing so far this year. They don't look happy and I don't know why.
I'm thinking of getting some to replace them this fall.

The rain probably made your plants happy!

The Furry Gnome said...

Our Fern Leaf Peony is growing well too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mine usually has just one bloom but I love it and think of you when I see it! You really have Spring!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The Rembrandt tulip is a stunner, Larry, and admittedly I have not seen one like this before!