Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday for All Day.......


It was a super goldfinch day yesterday. A pair of adults brought their nestlings to the tomato patch.  I just happen to catch them there as that yellow color is hard to miss even at a distance. The house finches had brought their young ones to the seed socks but the goldfinch are teaching real life harvesting.

They were picking bugs from the soil and pecking at the marigolds planted around the tomato bed. The young ones in a smaller number are coming to the  sock feeders now but they have to learn those skills to eat from it.
The old fashion peonies are great flowers.  The peonies were all in bloom on Wednesday at the farm. They were late in blooming by a week’s time. The ones that I moved to the new place did not bloom this year so I don’t know which ones that I have. I may bring some others now and put them in a temporary bed.  I do want to get some of the white peony that is old fashion.  I have one that the former owner planted and it just isn’t that good of a white peony.

This isn’t a bad bloom, it just seems to be so compacted with petals that it doesn’t make a good shape. The flower is soft, like cotton instead of the feel of a peony. It doesn’t put out many blooms even though it has been established for a while.

We are headed into another hot day.  The 90s are something we usually get in July and August. I should water this morning but I am headed of to the old place with two projects in mind.  I have a raccoon problem and I am going to remove their water source today of a fish (stock tank) pond.  There is water for them at the other side of town where they can move within 4 blocks or less.  I have to start early in the morning before the sun heats everything up.

I need help with a plant identification here.  They are a tall plant that is going to be moved to the cottage flower garden area. It looks funny sticking up in the front bed with it being the only thing tall. There are a few planted among the peony bed too that I think can go to the back yard. It looks like a pretty flower but seems to be a wild one that just isn’t conforming.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Its Friday and the weekend is coming. Everyone take care.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like a Penstemon to me, birds often move those seeds around:)