Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bird houses in winter........



As you can see we are not ready to put out any new birdhouses. The bird baths around our house have had a buildup of snow like cool looking whipping cream on desserts. The bottom picture is of one that I did from a design that the shop teacher at school uses to teach kids how to build with wood.
I have a pole that use to have a basketball hoop attached to it and bankboard and hoop has been taken down. I have wanted to put a feeder or birdhouse on for the last few years as it would look great with something on top of it instead of just being a blank black pole in the ground.
So I have been doing research on the internet and found some ideas for the large birdhouse. I did find in one book at the Woodsmith Store a multiplex structure designed to house many birds. It may be intended for Marlins, I don't know, but I will decide that later. When I do decide it will be boring the right size of hole for the specific bird. I bought four pieces of wood, 8 foot long each and 5 and a half inches wide. I also bought a small set of birdhouses as a plan guide from Michael's craft store.
I have narrowed down a plan by making the plan out of mat board ahead of time, using all of the ideas, and I am still working out the roof design for this project. I took photos today and later I will post the monstrosity with it all taped together.
The neat thing is that I don't have to worry about getting it done as we are predicted to have a new layer of snow on Friday. I am excited about seeing this project being finished but I also have learned in my older age that moving slowly and designing correctly will give me a great result. Then this spring, maybe in March, I can put it up and enjoy it. I may save my plan and make a couple more of them if it works out good. Thanks for reading.

No comments: