Friday, February 27, 2009

It is just a lawn chair, right?




A very good friend of mine named Bernie, who I have known since Kindergarten, says Larry has this thing with projects. He always has a project. I guess he is right and I have been thinking about this one for a long time. I have always admired Adirondack chairs. My oldest brother made one when he was in high school and that was back in 1957 or so. I liked that chair, they really are kind of strange. When my youngest son needed a project to do for shop, I suggested one of those chairs. I am sure his shop teacher was wanting something more sophisticated like a table, end table or cabinet, but Aaron took the hint and that is what he built. His shop teacher encouraged him to make it out of very good hardwood, so when it was done it was a beautiful piece of furniture with stain and clear finish. It was almost more like a modern furniture piece because it wasn't painted like they are done traditionally. Anyway, that chair didn't stay here and went to someone else's cabin in Minnesota never to be seen again.
As I have thought about recreating that chair, I had a diversion. On a public television show there was a gardener who was making this other style of chair, as seen above. He had charge of a very large public garden, and he was making these chairs and placing them all over the large acreage. The nice thing about them was he had broken the design down into grouped parts so that it could be made quickly and easily. I like the idea of fast, mass producing things.I thought that was a neat idea and I could make them for my orchard area, patio and elsewhere where it looks like one would want to sit down. Well, since that show, I researched the design and it was actually originally created by a German furniture designer by the name of Gerrit Reitvied. In the 30's he had received awards and his chairs today are in museums. There is a blog out there dedicated just for his furniture.
Back to the original story, I found the chair pictured in a magazine, painted red and rustically finished, and I thought that is what I wanted to make for my yard. The only problem that bothers me is it's styling is almost too modern and I don't think that it looks like a very strong piece of furniture. Also our house is old, 1903, and Adirondack really is more the style for this house. I know, the world has a lot of more serious things going on right now, and I won't probably be able to afford wood in the near future and I owe for those who can't pay their mortage, but it is a long time coming project. I guess you will have to wait and see what I will decide. By the way, I am almost finished painting my multi-condo birdhouse, but I promised not to show you until it is all done. Thanks for reading.

No comments: