Friday, February 13, 2009

Flower Power....


An old hippie saying was to use flower power instead of guns. It was pretty stupid as putting daisies down the barrels of guns of scared young ROTC guys was just making it difficult for them to do their practice march while on the field at Iowa State University. Not a single flower in a single gun saved a single soldier who died in the Vietnam war.
But spring will bring flowers and we will see the coneflowers and the black-eyed susans again in the summer and we will feel alive again. It snowed again today in Iowa and we have a beautiful snow covering everything. There is a beauty there but now it is getting to be too much of the same thing. I looked through my pictures of fall, and pictures of summer iris, and stargazer lilies, and I get hopeful. I know it is ridiculous to wish as it will be two more months of this.
I have started constructing my new birdhouse. My battery charger for the battery of my drill has decided to not to work any more. I had to dig out my old electric drill and that was a pain. I know the power was great, but the changing from drill bits to Phillips screw driver head was a long difficult process. I cut and built two sections of the birdhouse using up nine foot of my boards. I can see now that I will run out of wood. That is the story of any project. Three trips to the store before you get it finished.
Tomorrow is Valentines day and I have roses for my wife. They will be great to have around for me too, as I can soak in the rich red color of living plants from a warmer climate, probably California. I will pick them up in the morning uptown with 7 inches of snow on the ground and 31 degrees. One has to be careful in our weather as this kind of cold can destroy any plant if not protected from the harsh cold. One can't even hurry fast to the car without getting a plant frosted and ruined. Well enough whining about the weather. Maybe the sun will be out and the snow will have great reflections and it will seem warmer than it really is. Thanks for reading.

No comments: