Thursday, February 26, 2009

Framing in our studio......




I can't imagine how much more help that I can receive when framing a picture. I was quietly working and my wife was working nearby on a painting and all seemed fine. Then it got complicated. I had glued the frame together the day before so I needed to get nails put in on the corners as a second safety for strength. Our cat Nala, was hanging around but sleeping and father-in-law was getting ready to go to a senior citizen dinner. We were going to take him at 11 o'clock. As the work continues, Clarence seems to be ready to go. It is an hour and a half early though so he comes in and watches and ask questions and that is good. He needs to have things to do, but then he let the border collie into our work area and preceded to give him directions to keep him from harassing the cat, and the dog is begging for food from him and generally created a circus. I kept thinking after he found out that he was early that he would go back and lay down for awhile until it is time to go. No, that didn't happen. Actually the cat and dog get along well without interference and it is better to ignore them and they just go and lay down by each other. He sat at the kitchen table, watching from afar, asking questions, and keeping the pets excited and chasing and fussing with each of them As you can see Nala our cat was getting into the frame clamp strap and she was underfoot a lot of the time. Regardless, Clarence sat there for the entire hour or so, waiting for us to take him to the senior site. I could have just quit, but I really wanted to get this job out of the way as I have other things I want to get to. I just pressed on to the end.
As you can see, I did get the glass cleaned, the mat placed over the mounted picture, pins put in to hold it all together and paper and hanger wire on the back. These frame jobs of long pictures use to stress me out but usually I don't have so much trouble if I just pace myself and do parts of it strung out in a three day period.
I included a close up of the picture that was taken in 1916. It was a health camp meeting of some sort in some northern Iowa town. I have heard of these, or read about them when they had these on Long Island in New York. I don't know if it is a denomination of a Church or what, but I did read that they had actually built small cabin-like houses and lived in tents on Long Island for their annual meetings. I think their meetings lasted a week and it was a time of getting fresh air and creating good health in the body and discussing clean living.
Received a big downpour of rain today, and it is promised by weatherpersons to become snow or sleet, or both. We are looking very gray today and foggy too. Walked the dog tonight and the windchill has become artic air. Wow, it is now so very cold. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Ah, I knew you retired. Your name came up the other day in a conversation between me and a few other former students and I said I thought you retired. And I proved my point...thank you, Google.

How've you been?

- Erin Mueller

mueller.erin@gmail.com

L. D. said...

Yep, I am not at school anymore. I love it but am extremely busy. Keep in touch.