Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Added the Goats.....

This is a painting I created a few years back. It is oil on canvas panel board. I like painting on long and narrow canvases. My wife and I use to spend time on the North Shore, Lake Superior, and would paint en plein air. We would be so sunburned and then tanned from sitting hours each day painting along the lake shore from Duluth to Grand Marais.
At one of our nights stay at an unfortunate motel north of Grand Marias there was this building. The motel was a long stretched out one and one parked in back to go into your room. Directly behind our room stood this building. I took various photos of it and then painted it later in the studio. I like architectural accuracy on older buildings and this one intrigued me. It probably was the original home on the property before the motel was built. The house was used for storage now. Note the model T garage on the right side of the building. The lean to on the right of the garage was probably added later and could have been the workshop for the farm.
I actually found a picture of the old truck in a newspaper years before and I researched the goats in a book and painted them to give it some interest. I made up the barn too, but it isn't untrue to it's style of that time period. The entrance door is one of a door similiar to one on a building that I used to own. The door is actually from a Queen Anne era of architecture in style that had been recycled and installed on a cabin. That is another story. Thanks for reading.

No comments: