Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Retirement, what to do???


Leaving the teaching field after 35 years has left me scratching my head and thinking and asking, what now? I want to be an artist and do all the other things that I like to do. I do need to keep up with everyday life, catch up on all the things I haven't finished around the house and yard because I have been too busy working at school. I still have a lot of family responsibilities, and a frame shop, and I have a few strings attached at school that keep me distracted. I know I can get everything worked out but it is taking time. I have to get use to the idea that everyday is not a day that I have to go to school to go to work.
I did get a commission that I finished this summer. It is a drawing of a scene one would see back in the 40's, of a young boy watching the rural trolley coming into town, Woodward, Iowa. The Interurban ran from Des Moines to many towns in the rural area. This boy is now a grown man, a nice man, a grandpa who asked me to do the drawing. He had visualized it in his head for years and was excited that he could now get me to put it on paper. The actual resource picture was amazingly only a 2 by 3 inch in size. It took awhile to see all that was there, and to get it drawn to a much larger size. I was pleased with the result and so was the guy who commissioned it. What my next artwork will be, we will have to see.

No comments: