Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday's Findings..........


I am sharing another shot from the greenhouse purchases of last week. Maybe I will be able to help my wife to get them into the ground.  I would be nice if it were warmer which it will be next week. They were brought inside last night as we had a frost warning out last night. We were down to 33 degrees F.  last night but others west of us were in the 20 degree range. I am hoping that will be the last of that for the middle of May. 


The tulip is spent but the back view still makes an interesting photo. In this area the globe alum are starting to burst open.  A warm day will bring them completely out and I will see purple balls of color.


Shirley, our neighbor on the corner, passed away probably 15 years ago but her planting of this lilac lives on to put out so much color. It is a different variety of lilac than my old fashion traditional shrub.  It is bloomed out now while the old fashioned ones are still not completely out in full bloom.  This is a great one that sits across the alley from my property.  Looking down the alley the new young owner has destroyed the white lilacs leaving a mess of short branches and dead limbs from where he just chain saw attacked them.  I don't know why he didn't whack this one to pieces but I am so glad that he didn't.

My other new neighbor and his dad hacked away at a Magnolia tree causing it to only bloom at the very top this year. I discussed that with those two about ruining the tree.  A former neighbor planted that over 20 years ago and one other past neighbor turned it into a lolly pop tree.  It looked like a bonsai tree and was such a great specimen tree.  These two guys, dad and son, this fall turned it into a stalk of celery.  I couldn't get any shots of it and I decided not to show last years shots of it.



My inside bonsai like plant is doing well.  I have resisted watering it except with a tablespoon of water at a time.  I had one bloom die back but the others seem to be doing great.  The plant has had to endure the furnace being on most of the time the past few weeks and it doesn't seem to be effected by it. I have kept it sitting on the dining room table away from direct sunlight even though it is a bright spot for it to be. I have resisted buying any more as this one was half price and I haven't seen any new ones at a good price.
















It is a peony like bloom but it is so small that it is not that impressive.  I have two of them left from a set of 6 bulbs.  I don't know why it has been so hard to photograph but white can be difficult to shoot.





The business teacher is gone today for an all day golf tournament.  I am giving tests today and attending to smaller classes because the seniors are now gone and golfers are gone.  It should be a quiet day.  I was going to write a longer blog than this but I am sure that it would probably ramble on and you would skip down to the bottom quickly.

The weekend is coming and we don't have too many plans.  I need to mow in the cold and we have minor things to do. I will soon be without work as school is out in a couple of weeks. The final day is the 2nd of June and I won't work on the last day of school,  My last days could be anytime the last week of May.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope all of you are well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Evening, I enjoyed your photos very much. What a shame about the neighbors ruining the magnolia tree. We have walked thru 2 garden centers lately. So many lovely plants to choose from this time of year.
Even GA has been cooler/breezy today.
I hope you both will have an enjoyable weekend.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So sad to see good plants butchered. Your inside Orchid looks great! Your days at school are dwindling down:)