Wednesday, May 14, 2014

They Hatched.......


I had noticed the mother robin staying on the nest on Sunday, not leaving the nest even when I was walking around.  I suspected then that the four eggs were hatching. Yesterday afternoon I was out and about and thought I would try to get a picture of the mother on the next but she must have taken off.  I can't get a focus on the babies as it is under a porch roof.  I will probably be more successful when they start sticking their heads up to be fed.  All four of them did hatch even though it is hard to figure what you are seeing here.


I have to stand on a couple of things that could prove a fall for me if I am not careful.  I still am taking blind shots as the nest is about a foot from the top of the porch roof of the garden shed and too high for me to see anything but the nest.


Hyacinths in Iowa do not do well with our weather. This is a token set of blooms that are struggling for space from the vinca vine.  It has been so cold that the other hyacinths haven't developed this much.


 My lilacs still are not in full bloom.  We have one warm day coming on Saturday or Sunday.  Maybe some heat will help them fill out into full flower.  The rains didn't hurt them as much as I thought that it would.  My flowering trees lost most all of their blooms with the heavy rains.

The smell of these lilacs are so wonderful.  I don't really do well this time of the year with the perfumed air but I still go and take photos anyway.







We have some greenhouse flowers to get into the ground soon.  Our soil is so wet that I really don't want to dig around in the bed until it dries out. I don't think that we are too cold to put them in but it is too cold for us to go out and put them into the ground.










I have the day off today.  My possibilities to work are dwindling as school is out in two and a half weeks.  I don't work Wednesdays often.  The closer to the end of the year means the less work I will have.  I do work Friday for a golfing coach who has to take students to a golf tournament.  The seniors graduate this Sunday so the school will have fewer students for the rest of the year.









Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great day.

5 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Aw, those are sweet baby birds! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Such sweet little birds. I love the lilacs. Karen said she was cold last night and today. We are getting rain tonight, for which we are thankful. Hope you both enjoy the rest of the week.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So ugly only their Mother and Father could love them. Wow your spring is coming on beautifully:)

claude said...

So cute the baby robins.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, spent some time catching up on blog reading and your lilac blooms are looking lovely. Purple is my favorite color. Looks like yiu will be seeing some feeding activity in the robin nest soon. The ones that nested in our yard grew so fast within a week. The nest was a bit lower in the tree so I did not have to stand on anything to see it, fortunately. We have a second nest much higher up in another tree, so no photos possible.