Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thursday's Things......


The spirea bushes that I have on this property are all older and were established when I bought the place..  I do have this one row of them that I put in a few years after I moved here.   The neighbor was moving an established row of them because he didn't like its location.  He moved the whole row back about 4 feet. The moved row looked great but today an addition of a house sits on it and it doesn't exist anymore.  Mine have done well.  I keep thinking I want to trim the whole thing down and give it a fresh start for next year.



The Asiatic lilies are popping up everywhere.  I see that the Stargazer that I planted new last year is coming up again this year.  I have lost a few Asiatics in the backyard because of invading field lilies.  The dogs also help me keep some of the field lilies back as they tramp down a few in spring until they get so big that they can't walk into them. 







I took this shot before I was sick.  I shared it on facebook but then never did share it here on one of my blogs.  The columbine is always one of my favorite wild flowers.  I know that I bought this one commercially but it is the same plant that grows in the wild.  I would bring it up from our timber as a kid and plant it on the north side of the farm house.  It grew for years there and may still do so today.  The new owners may have let it grow or thought it to be a weed.

I found a photo of my batch of robins in archive.  I really don't know if I posted it but here it is.  I would like to see them do another batch in that nest.  I have a starling making a nest in my mulit condo type birdhouse right now.  When I am up for taking shots of it and also have the patience I will get a shot.  I  just noticed the bird yesterday checking out the different holes of the four houses on the pole.




The neighbor girls do leave evidence of their may activities.  We lose some privacy at times in our backyard but they are also fun and active and doing things.  The bicycles will be flying and the scooters scooting.  Balls will be thrown and the twins and older sister will always come to the fence to pet Barney.  We witnessed the other day Barney going over to the corner of the yard and gave out a grunt to call them.  The girls always come running to see him.



The day looks like a good day to get out and see what is happening around the garden shed.  If I can dig a few holes, I will put in some tomatoes.  I will get some sunflowers in the ground and we will see how far that takes my strength level.  My mind is also adjusting to the idea that I don't have to squeeze my chores around an 8 hour day. What I don't get done, I can do more tomorrow as I have another 8 hour bonus to the day.  Thanks for stopping in today. 

1 comment:

Patsy said...

We are getting rain again , no work in the garden this week.