Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day.....

 My dad was in the army during WW2.  He landed overseas in Belgium and eventually was sent into battle.  It was called the Battle of The Bulge.  He was the radio carrier who went out with the scouts to see the battle field situations.  He was with the scouts that discovered in the small town of Rmagen that there was still one bridge intact that spanned the Rhine River into Germany.  The Nazis had destroyed every bridge across the Rhine to keep the Americans from invading Germany.  The only problem is the bridge at Remagen is that it wouldn't fall down even though they kept placing dynamite at its base supports. My dad was with the first unit to cross that bridge in the spring of 1945. There was a unit of German soldiers to greet them side that couldn't keep them from crossing. In ten days, six different units of American soldiers crossed over there on the bridge.  The final invasion was taking place.  Hitler's army admitted defeat on May 8, 1945.  It was also the same day of my Dad's birthday. More than 35,000 Americans died in that five week battle and it was the final fight to stop the war with Germany.  I fly my flag as often as I can to remember that our freedom did come at a great cost. I feel I am doing it for my father, Jesse T. and he is being honored when you see my flag.


 


 


 



 Thanks for stopping by this Monday, Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Well done.
I had two uncles that served in WWII. My father who was rejected by the army built airplanes in a factory.

We too often forget that we have our freedom and so do others because of our brave people in the armed forces.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I shudder when I think what the soldiers went through. war is hell...that quote sums it up.