Saturday, May 6, 2023

Weekend....Sat.


 

The house finch is redder during the spring time when mateing or matching takes place.  They do fade out a little by mid summer.  A good picture I missed was a cardinal male and female at the feeder this morning.   My camera was across the room and when I would go get it they would fly away immediately.  Instead I watch them feed and once in a while the male gave the female a seed to eat. 

 


 I ordered plant starts from a company that is based in Holland.  They shipped there stuff by boat so I just now got them at the door. I was told that they had landed ten days ago on American soil.  Their plants, roots, look healthy but their directions for planting were really bad.  I had to use common sense  for them as I looked over the root structures and the minimal starts at the tops.  I have never planted hollyhocks before and had to figure out that it was a three or four inch root to be planted down and let the top barely show at the top.  I planted them with fresh black soil instead of the clay soil that I have in the garden.  I still have dutch iris to plant but I am going to wait for the soil to dry. 


Even though it was very wet out there from heavy rains in the night I was able to fill the boxes with dirt.  I have window boxes that sit inside of them.  I am going to put morning glory seeds in there that I have collected the past few years and want to buy another specific vine to grow with them.  I need to go to the nursery to find the seed.  We will have a wet cool day today.  It isn't raining even thought they said it would.  Thanks for stopping by this Saturday.

1 comment:

The Furry Gnome said...

Great picture of that House Finch!