Friday, October 27, 2023

Freezing Time to Come.....


 It is time to bring in the last of the potted plants inside.  It is also time to pick rose bouquets.  The freeze will be happening overnight.  I have to rain barrels to get drained as well. Cold weather is officially here. 



I learned from a florist that one should cut a rose under running water and place it in the vase immediately. I took out my kiddie sand bucket filled with some water and dropped them in the water as I cut them in the very cold winds.  This bucket full has yet to be placed in vases.



I set up shop downstairs and did place these in vases as I trimmed each bush. The yellow bush had reset buds and started blooming again so I trimmed them off as if I was pruning it. 



I have yet to figure out how to cover this for two days. I guess I could use steel posts and a sheet. It is a feak of nature that it is reblooming but I will try to do something. 



We got two inches of rain.  Very few towns around us did but we made it on the map of high rain numbers. We needed it and I did here some thunder in the night.  The wind is so strong that the streets were all dried off and I wondered how I get all that water in the wheel barrel. 



I am going to bundle up now and attach garden hoses to my two rain barrels. I drain the water onto the redbud tree and the other bluespruce tree.  I think it helps them to get through the winter.  The neighbors to the north each have one red tree, different variety, but both of them are red.  Sadly the one will start dropping leaves pretty quickly.  Thanks for stopping by today.



1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty flowers, you made some nice bouquets!