Saturday, October 5, 2024

Saturday with Heat.....


 

I  have told the story before that I had this rose planted in the shade of the house for a couple of years. I decided that it just stayed short and bloomed very little so I moved it out into the open. I have never regretted it. It blooms continuously al summer.

 


 

The newest project in the neighborhood is the new deck.  It was added to extend close to their new pool. I like the railing on this deck with its metal bars. Unfortunately we live above all of the new projects and they do get to look like cluttered backyards. This is the third pool being  put in during the past two years.  The one pool that is an in ground and the nicest to look at is one we really can't see because of our trees. The young couple directly behinds us has only a  very large tent. They keep their yard cleared of things and it isn't cluttered.

 

I keep talking shots of the white clematis plant as the rarely seen blooms just keep coming. I haven''t seen any all spring or summer. I think that it likes the cooler temperatures as well of having me finally water it. 



Yes, I always have a story behind all the strange things that I have around.  The wash pan is over 70 years old. I salvaged it from my grandmother's rotting away farm house.  My Grandmother Brown lost my grandfather in 1937. Out of necessity more than anything else, she remarried Oscar Brooks.  He had lost his wife so they did need each other.  My then grandmother became Grandmother Brooks. The lived in a very old farm house north of us near Murray, Iowa. They had an outhouse and the running water was a pump with and electric motor on it to pump water into a bucket. 

The basin you see in the photo was left behind when she and her husband moved to the big city in 1963.  She left it behind for a house with indoor plumbing. I found it still sitting in the dry sink area in the kitchen years later when the floor in the room was all rotted out and it was hard to walk around.  I remember when she would pour hot kettle water into it and add some cold to wash up her dishes. I know one washed up your hands in it after mowing their grandmother's yard. I expect it was also used for her sponge baths at night when the lights were out.  As far as it having a function for me, I do rarely wash things up in it.  It is all the history that I know that makes it a valuable item to me. 



Three of my backyard neighbors don't have a single tree in their back yard. The guy up the way planted this wonderful maple and it is getting big and beautiful. I really like seeing the willow tree on the next  property over. It is an old fashion one and it really is rare to see them. I remember them as a kid when people put them in their front yards borrowing and burying a branch into the dirt. It was a cheap way to get a tree. 

We are sitting at 91 degrees F. at seven o'clock in the evening.  It is unusual to be this warm this time of the year. Thanks for stopping by today.



No comments: