Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday Stuff......


Looking through the Botanical Center's dome you can see the clouds and one of the bridges that goes over the freeway in Des Moines.


Looking to the south of the Center you can see a small portion of the downtown area.  The large gray roofed building is the Arena where the NCAA basketball games are being played.  There are eight different college teams playing, none of them from Iowa.  We have three college teams playing in that tournament but each one is playing in other states.  I think one is out east, another is in Oklahoma and one is in Colorado.


Back inside the dome is this water feature that reflects the ceiling.  The water runs over the edge and down a tall water fall.  The water goes into the water stream that holds the koi and other small fish.


The temperatures at 84 degrees F. and the high humidity makes the orchids grow abundantly.  I keep getting teased to by one at all the lumber stores and Walmart, but I know better.  I guess if I had a room humidifier to run next to one I could keep them going.  A lot of the store orchids end up in the dumpster as once the blooms are spent, no one buys them.


On one side to the giant greenhouse is a desert display.  They remodeled this area and removed large cautus and replaced them with smaller specimens.

Snow and rain will be a part of our day but it surely won't bank up much white stuff. It seems to be a stay at home day as spring break comes to a halt.  I am booked to work everyday next week so I will be taking it easy most of the day.  One has to rest up to go back to work. 

The birds won't like the rain but once it stops they will be back at it. The house finch is a rare sight for us but welcomed to join the goldfinches.

I hope all will have a good weekend.  Tomorrow is the first day of spring.  Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Patsy said...

Our Spring came early, now it wants to back track and
get cold again. No snow but rain!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That Orchid is so beautiful, I admire them in the stores too! It is better that I leave them there! Hope you get all rested up for your work week. It is cold here, we are back to winter:(