Friday, July 3, 2009

Lily, lily, vine......

I have always called this a ditch lily as they can be seen growing free in the ditches of our country roads. Many times it is the only evidence of an old farmstead as everything has been torn down and the ground is being farmed, and the lilies from the farmhouse garden are blooming freely in the ditch. I guess I have heard them called field lilies also. They have a beautiful center different than our cross bred hybrids.
This lily is the first one out of the gate every year. It is a smaller lily but puts out a lot of color.
Moved my donkey planter outside. I bought the vine last year and had it planted in a plain pot, but this antique donkey planter pulling a basket on wheels has worked out well with the vine.

2 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

My grandma used to have one of those donkey planters, I always wanted it, but sadly don't know what happened to it, after she passed.
Whenever I see daffodils or lilies growing at random in a field, I always pause to think who planted them, and what happened to the homestead.
Lovely pictures thanks for sharing today.
Happy 4th to you and yours.

The Retired One said...

I love the field lillies...when we built our new home, I went out and found some to add to our yard!