Monday, July 6, 2009

Rambling along again.....

I don't think the snapdragons have ever been this successful on my property before but they are doing well out there on the corner of my property.

I need to face the fact that I need to thin out my hostas. I have the plainer green one blooming and the variegated one is going to bloom soon. Being retired is good as I am getting so much more done that I usually do in the garden, but I have two major carpentry projects and a minor project looming over my head. One of them includes taking all of the 104 year old siding off of the south side of our house and replace it and also put in two new windows on that side. My mom's house needs to have the shower in the master bathroom gutted and to be replaced with an all new shower and a new floor before we can sell it. I also need to finish painting the front porch that I built last fall. I will be starting with that project first. Hopefully my yard and garden are in the maintaining mode and I can just get started.

Sansevieria, or mothers in law tongue, was a plant that was grown in my home as a kid. My mom had a dark green variety and I know that it was a shared plant from a relative or neighbor lady. I just recently noticed in Garden Design magazine that gardeners were growing them outside. I know that is where they originated but one tends to shelter a houseplant inside all of it's life. I put my plant on the back porch steps and immediately burned it but it is ok now under the tree in the shade. I use to put my ficus tree outside and I may move it out yet. I bought a little smaller sansaevieria a few months back at a Kmart and it now is putting out a new young sprout. I put it outside with the larger one for the summer.

My neighbor has this plant of novelty that she found in some garden catalog. When she was a little girl her parents had this plant and after a year of searching she found it. It is a bush like plant that produces white flowers and then forms the egg shaped fruits. The plants eventually have little white eggs the size of a small hen egg, if you have ever seen those. Anyway, as it matures the egg shapes turn beautiful colors of red and blue and yellow. I took one pot of hers that had one egg planted in it and I ended up with over thirty or so plants. I will keep you posted on the progress and also I would really like to find out what the true name of it is.

No comments: