Monday, September 21, 2009

The final colors.......

The little phlox flowers are falling off now. This was taken a few days ago and now they are mostly gone.
This is a petunia that thinks it is a rose. It is peaking out from some weeds and grasses. There are a lot of foliage plants around there also. I just read in one of my garden magazines that I should be plucking starts from the foliage plants now for next year. I don't think I have a great place to keep them alive for the entire winter or I would try it.
One lone petunia left in one of my planters. The fall weather is hitting, cold at night, and we are dry so things are fading fast. The light has changed a lot around here also and birds are flying south. I tried a little informal balance on this shot.
Thanks for reading......

4 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

The colour on that final flower (is it a petunia) is quite wonderful. It is almost as if the strength is being slowing drained out of it with the coming fall.

The Retired One said...

Wow..sure loved the color of that last petunia...an electric blue with a purplish hint....such a nice contrast against the colors of autumn now. Hope it lasts you a few more days!!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Wonderful shot of the petunia, they do seem to hang in there until the very last....

Vivian aka Deborah said...

Great colors of pink and purple! Isn't it so sad to know summer is over? Feels like it's didn't even start this year. Now I must brace myself for the loooong, daaaark winter!