Friday, September 11, 2009

First flowers....Last flowers

Fall is setting in around here and the growing season will be stopping in the next month. I am not sure that the alums were exactly my first flowers, but they come just as early as the tulips.

My last flowers are going to be the black eyed susan's. I had a stella o'dora lily that keeps putting out one more flower but I think it is finally done. All that is left to do is collect seeds from the zinnias and bachelor buttons. The weeds are getting the best of some of the gardens but I will get to them a few at a time. The susans, coneflowers, and sedum are fading but keep some color out there. We didn't have a normal summer season in Iowa as the rains kept coming. Now that the tomatoes finally started to turn, the rains have slowed down, and the grass is going to stop growing. In the corn fields you can see the firing start, (the plants die and turn yellow to tan), and the soybeans are mostly dead stems waiting for the combine to come and pick them. I still don't have all my projects done. But when the snow starts to blow, I will be done, ready or not.
I bought a second hand book today about Garden Crafts. A four dollar book the second time around. It has lots of garden sculpture projects in it that I may have try this winter. I will blog about it later..... Thanks for reading.......

2 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

I am quite looking forward to winter. Having followed you blog - and a number of other blogs from around the USA - over the summer months and into the Autumn, it will be fascinating to follow the story into the winter. We have a fairly stable climate over here - it rains in the winter and rains in the summer - and therefore to here about climates which are more variable is interesting.

The Retired One said...

Love the yellow flower picture. I will be interested to see what you build for your garden.
We have been lucky here in that we have been blessed with about 12 or 13 days of 70-80 degree weather, which is high for us this time of year. But there is a colder front on its way and we will be back in the low 60's. But the leaves are changing fast here and soon we will be in full, beautiful color!