Thursday, September 17, 2009

Taking care of business.......

It is one of those days, one of those blogs, one of those far out times, when there just isn't going to be a theme. I have to take care of business.
I know you are sick and tired of me talking about what I am doing with this house, but I had to build a unit for the bathroom and I just did it in the past two hours. You can see my trusted orange power tool. As they say, with that saw, we can build it!!! My wife was involved also to hold boards while I nailed and glued it together, but pictures of her will not be posted, per here request.
I don't know what the new owner will do with this storage unit, but it is my solution to fill the extra space left over after the shower was installed. It is in two pieces and I will paint it with a very good enamel to hold the particle board material together, forever and to waterproof it.
One or two of my blogger friends are showing modern sculpture and surrealistic paintings. I thought I would share this sculpture that is in my yard. When I was teaching, there was a tradition by some of the guys in shop, to just start welding pieces together and make a free standing something. They had not a clue what they were doing, but people do have a natural way of good design if they don't think about it. Anyway, every year, a new batch of guys would go bonkers and make one of these and I would put it into the regional art show. One year, the sculpture was spray painted blue and it won Best of Show. This one in my yard was one of those that had been left behind and the maker or makers didn't want it. It isn't my favorite but I needed to have a piece of that history. I need to move it into a planted area. Someday I will do it. I might paint it also.
Lastly, I had the pleasure of babysitting my neighbor's dog, Penny. She is young, very energetic, and wild. A terrier could really be called a terrorist. She is a sweetheart though and while her mom was having special medical tests, I would go over and walk her and play with her in her back yard every once in a while all day.
The beer bottle is not mine, but it is a plastic one. I could throw it a few feet and she could run in circles for hours so to speak, carrying it around and chewing it to pieces. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but she and I got a long just fine. Thank you for reading.......

3 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Who said that we were sick and tired of hearing what you are doing with the house? You have the ability to make things interesting rather than boring : you don't need to apologise for it. As for the surrealistic sculpture, I might just pop over to your parts and borrow it for my Surreal Sunday feature.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

No we're not tired of reading about your projects, just the opposite, you inspire me !
That's a lovely unit, are you going to store towels, or bits and bobs ?
Terriers, they are like the Energizer Bunny, going and going and ......

The Retired One said...

I laughed when you said the dog made you exhausted, taking care of it! They are like living with a two year old, aren't they?