Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Tuesday’s Things.....


There were three of these baby robins following each other all over the yard.  They would come to an insect in the yard and they would fight for it.  This one finally struck out on his own to look for his own food.  I am suspecting that these were young ones that were raised in the blue spruce tree.  I had never seen the group of young robins behave like that before.  Once in a while an adult would show up and feed one of them as instinct is strong in the parents.

Gazing balls use to be popular when I was a kid.  You could see them placed out in a garden spot as an accent of color.  I have place mine out but it may move.  I am trying it out in different places.  I wanted to put it in the front yard flower garden but I question its safety out there.
I can see that my watering this bed has helped to spewed up some development.  I haven’t planted glads for a long time so I am anxious to see how long it will take for them to bloom.

As a part of my memory is my Aunt Mary who planted white gladiolus, with the thought that they would work for her daughter's wedding.  The got planted by Uncle Bill at just the right date.  I can imagine my aunt directing my uncle firmly as to the planting of them.  I think she planted three batches all at weekly intervals so she would be sure to have flowers.  I do remember seeing them in the garden and  at the wedding.  That was back in 1966.  My cousin Karen who got married just had a grandson graduate from high school in a town near where we live now. I see her daughter more often than I see Karen.

I shared the story behind this old rose on my Photo a Day blog. It is a very old rose that I  moved to the new property.  It looked like just one cane sticking out of the ground for quite a long time.  This spring it has its roots established and I have foliage and blooms.  It was a surprise for me as I though it wasn’t going to survive. It is against the fence and it is characteristic to take over the entire area.  I would like than.
My neighbor’s “knock out” roses are a bonus for us as we can see them just off our yard.  They grow differently in the hot sun.  They bloom for less time and have to be trimmed back to get them to bloom again.

I have a canna to plant this morning as well as a delphinium.  I have never had a delphinium so we will see if it will winter over.  In the back yard I have two kinds of sunflowers to plant.  I am going to plant them in a different spot this year.

We are having a gray day with cool temps.  It seems strange to have cold weather now but it is Iowa.  Thanks for checking in today.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Yes, we se lots of grown Robins, but hardly any babies, not sure what happens to them once they leave the nests ?
Your flowers are looking stunning Larry, so much variety and color everywhere !
Hope the rain doesn't stay to much longer.
~Jo

Laurel Wood said...

That is a sweet story about the glads at the wedding. We are having sunshine after several days of rain/cooler temps. Cute story about the baby robins, too!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You will probably have Glads blooming in August! :) Perfect for bring in! We still don't have Robins in our yard:(