Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wearing my artist hat.....




This is sort of my show and tell day as an artist. I have finished my second painting in acrylic paint. It is a scene of a regatta in progress. I really love seeing the white sails of the boats as they are racing through the water. We watch them at the North Shore in Minnesota in the summer. You can see the mess that I left behind on my work area. I haven't cleaned it up yet but that is the part of preparing to get on with the next painting.
The photo of the boxed set of oil paints is my new purchase. As an experienced painter those beginner sets are really for beginners. I have a lot of oil paints and brushes and the works, but the oils haven't been touched for ten years. I have a feeling that I am going to have to do battle to get the tubes open and I am not looking forward to that. What I found at the art store was this set that was marked down so low that I had to have it. It will be my new beginning in painting with oils. I can start out with the new set and add in my old paint tubes gradually. My wife and I bought lots of canvases too.
The other show and tell item is the old book that I had painted two different paintings. I did this with my high school students last year as the library was throwing away many very old, outdated books. As you can see I am in conflict on the style that I like to paint. I am anxious to work with oil as acrylic paint demands a different way of painting. I love the blending characteristics of oil. Enough show and tell for now. Thanks for reading.....

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It sounds like you were a great Art Teacher. I always wished that I could draw..never ever had an Art Teacher to help with just the basics, then I took an Adult Ed Class and had to draw the entire four weeks on newsprint..never looking at the paper only at the object..of course it looked horrible, like chickens scratching. I have a Grand-Daughter who is very talented..with pencil drawings and chalks..hopefully she will get an instructor like you.someday.
I took an Oil Painting class once..it turned out pretty good, and it hangs on the wall in our home. I should try my hand at it again sometime..too many hobbies so little time:)

Erin said...

This makes me want to attempt to paint again. I could always sketch and work with charcoal, but the oil paints never seemed to like me...the best parts of the biggest painting I have from high school are the shrubs you helped me with...the rest looks a bit cartoon-ish to me.