Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tomatoes and gladiolus...


My tomatoes are coming up. This is yesterday's photo and they look like a bunch of drunken sailors. My wife's dad usually takes care of them but he is having some serious health problems. He isn't very mobile and I hope that he will be again. We are worried about that. He is 98 and now uses a walker very slowly. Anyway, I was in his room and checked on them and took the glass cover off of them as they were hitting the glass and looked crooked. Today they have all straighten up and they seem to be doing well. I will have to watch them to keep them watered as he just can't this year.

I bought glads. I had some but lost them because I couldn't get them out soon enough and they wouldn't grow well, and then I let them freeze. I am retired now, sort of, and I will put them out as soon as my neighbor does. He gets them in early and they do very well. I may scatter the planting times by a week so they will last longer in the season. In Iowa it can get so hot, but if you can get them in and started during the rains, they will tough out the heat later.
I remember in the old days when my Aunt Mary was going to grow white glads for her daughters wedding, my cousin Karen. She planted to the exact time that they needed to be in the ground so she would have ample flowers for the wedding. She, really my Uncle Bill, planted two weeks early of the estimated time for the date to bloom and then spaced some a week later, just in case they were wrong on the determined time to bloom. It worked, as she had four or five long rows of white glads at all stages and she was able to get two large bouquets for the front of the church. Those were the days when one didn't spend much on a wedding, and buying flowers would have meant two bud vases with a few carnations in them. My Aunt made the cake also, so the dress was the major cost and no meals were ever served back then after any wedding. We just had cake and punch and coffee and mints and nuts and there was always a printed napkin with the bride and groom's name on it.
We are sunny today but cold. I need to put my cheap rose into some dirt as it is going to be way ahead of the good weather. It is packed in moss or wood chips so it can go bad pretty quickly if I don't monitor it. I think having it in a bucket of dirt will ease my chances of loss. Thanks for reading.....

1 comment:

Erin said...

I don't think it's cold at all...maybe it's colder out there in the Wood :) Mom and Grandma always had glads, but I'm afraid to attempt them just yet...I would like to plant some Iris bulbs this year, though, to have for next year. And Sweet Peas. I'd better get crackin'!