Monday, April 6, 2009

My brother....



If you have been following my blog for a any period of time, you have noticed that I have been down this road before now. My mother passed away in May and I showed one of her group photos from her funeral. My brother died in August, three months later.   I know the picture above is bad but I can explain. These were  at my brother's funeral and all the pictures were flat, but heat and humidity got to it before I could take pictures of it. I guess I think it has a surrealistic effect that makes it one composition and not just a group of curled pictures.


My brother didn't have a happy life even though his young pictures show that he seemed to grow up normally. He didn't have a wife when he died as he divorced her after they lost their two year old child to cancer 32 years ago. He had glimmers of success and he did the best he could considering that his loss of his child destroyed him.

The photo collage actually represents his life as the good intentions that just never seemed to work out. His loneliness and hurt kept him from accepting help from anyone, and his hiding in addictions obscured his reality. He threw in the towel when he lost his son and his struggle to stay even with the world destroyed his body. His brothers who remain will always be wounded from the guy who was so wounded. All of the rest of his relatives, who were many, will always remember mostly his struggle. He tried so hard in his own way but he got it all wrong.
So as you look at the total grouping of photos, it is a time to reflect, to see how it is going in your own life. I hope and pray that the pictures people are taking of you, are happy, that you have love around you, that life is good and the bad around you doesn't overcome you, and the peace of God is in your heart.
Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Erin said...

That does sound a lot like many of my relatives. Hmm. They can't help themselves because they won't or vise versa. Just another reminder to try our best to live lives free of baggage.