Saturday, April 4, 2009

Glass toys and candy...



My mom had three different glass toys that she kept in the trunk that belong to her as a young girl. That would have been at least 80 or more years ago. They always fascinated me and she couldn't really tell me much about them except that they had candy in them when she received them. She eventually gave them to me one birthday at a time when I was an adult. The car and phone was hers and also I have a bomber-military airplane, shown below in the photo which has a lot of pieces broken from it. Can you see the stars in a circle on the wings. The glass was hard to get into focus. My walnut table is in focus instead. The two glass dish-like objects are coasters that they use to put under their old metal beds so they wouldn't wear a hole in the rug or the wood floor. I found them in my mom's house and I don't know where she got them.
Della's cousin gave me the glass dog a few years back from Della's Aunt estate. The cousin didn't want it but she did say they had named it Fawla, after president Roosevelt's dog while he was president.
I recently researched my collection of four and found that they were sold by Montgomery Ward. I could see people ordering them out of the catalog for their kids unless they were near Des Moines to buy them. It is a small collection, but now I keep my eyes out for them. It is fun to find them on the internet, but they are few are far between so to speak. If they are like my bomber plane they did break with a little of excessive playing by children so their may not be too many out there. One never knows where the next one shows up for me to add to my very small collection. Thanks for reading.....

No comments: