Monday, April 13, 2009

Kids can be off the wall...



I taught art for thirty five years. I added computer graphic design into our program fifteen years back but art was my major field. I found this photo that reminded me why I really liked kids. These high school students were in one of my pottery classes and one of their major projects was to create a chess set of their own. It requires making the sixteen pieces in wet clay, let them dry, get them fired and then glaze and fire them again. Today's students love to find distractions, being it illegally using cell phones, talking instead of working, or just plain spacing off and trying to do as little as possible. I had been helping other students and turned and looked and in this photo here were these two guys sitting there trying to play a game of chess. The clay is wet, it sticks to the table, and when they try to make a move, they have to unstick it from the table. It was ridiculous to even try to make it work. I asked them if they knew how to play chess and they said sort of, meaning they were just faking it. Those boys are grown up now and out of school but this was really a good memory of my teaching years. Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey, it's Andy! I recognize the others, but don't remember their names. I just found a bunch of my images from Computer Graphics and thought about posting them...maybe now I will. Your art classes were at times, the only thing that got me to come to school, so thank you for that.