Monday, April 20, 2009

Learn from your mistakes....




Having been a teacher for thirty five years, I learned early on to be honest as you teach and to teach that you own your mistakes and that is how we learn. Learning from your mistakes is a common saying but I found it is easier to admit them up front and be yourself. I had planned on transplanting these into bigger pots a week or more ago and don't they look great. No, not really as they are too crowded now, twisted together and have way too long of stems. I found that I had so many that I planted two to three per pot and I tried to lay them down to increase soil contact. The photo of the replants look really sick but I have faith that in another week I will have them back into shape.

One thing that bothers me is that I don't like working with this fluffy potting mix. My father-in-law got me to use the material and I dutifully am using it up but next year I am doing something differently. I was raised in southern Iowa where the soil is a large percentage clay. My dad's farm was hilly and yellow except down by the creek. I live north of Des Moines and here where I live, the soil is black, really dark black soil. I was so excited to have such great dirt when I bought the place. In fact northern Iowa is claimed to have seventy percent of the richest soil in the world.

Anyway, I am going to mix at least half of my garden soil into this potting mix to give it a little body. I don't like trying to stand up a tomato plant into something that won't hold it vertically. I guess I could go to peat pots but I feel that I have the material that should work to keep me from purchasing them. I do have some nice looking pepper plants started and that I will post about them soon. I will mix dirt with that and see how it goes. They are not over-sized and I can wait a few more days to do that. I know some one will tell me to wet that soil first and I guess I want someone to give me some hints if that is how it is done.
Have I complained about the weather enough for you? My brother in California was 102 degrees yesterday and we were windy and fifty some degrees. Today it is 53 degrees and blowing strongly and by Friday we can kiss the cold weather good-by as it is predicted to be 82 or more degrees. Sadly we sometimes will never see the cool weather again and we will regret that we complained. The warm weather will bring out the leaves on the trees and the tulips will really come alive. I guess I am ready for that. Thanks for reading............

4 comments:

ELAINE ERIG said...

I have no garden, but was created by a wonderful mother who was great gardener, so.. I do with eyes, her blog is marvellous

Erin said...

I couldn't believe how cold it was today with the wind...and I'd been hoping to buy some annuals. Maybe tomorrow. It doesn't seem right buying them in 50 degree weather and with my luck, as soon as I get them home, they'll get sick of the weather and die! Going to take a few pictures of the flowers blooming already tonight.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I hope your seedlings will make it. I find that a lot of my seedlings get neglected as I'm outside more. I have several that really need transplanting.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Larry, You should wet your potting mix..throw some mix into a bucket, then add some water and work it through the potting mix with your hands ( if you use warm water, it is a pleasant job) ..so that all the mix is moistened but not soggy..it should form a clump that falls apart easily..but not one that you can squeeze water from. I would take those tomato plants and plant them deep, strip or pinch off the seed leaves( the two first little leaves on the bottom.. and then plant that plant so that the soil level is just below the next(true) leaves..you may need a deeper pot. Garden soil is sometimes too harsh for little seedlings..and not porus enough for them to put on good roots to get a good healthy start. Give me a holler anytime on my blog..I am happy to give my 2 cents worth anytime:)