Monday, May 11, 2009

I found those patches....



This is still a mystery photo for me. I know all who are in the picture except the little boy with a gun. He could be one of my two older cousins, but I still don't have the exact dating of the picture. My dad is on the far right in uniform and his brother in uniform is on the far left. I don't know why both brothers from the army would be back home at the same time. The brother was stationed in Alaska the whole time of the war. I know also that dad was stationed in DC for a while then retrained in Georgia to go over seas. This could have been a time when he was transferring.
The thing that struck me about this picture just today was the patch on my dad's left sleeve. I and a friend were cleaning out a chest of drawers in my parent's home last week and those two patches were in that chest. I hadn't made the connection other than they were dad's war things from the trunk that got flooded. All the things that could be saved from that trunk were put who knows where and they were found in different closets and furniture in the house. They had not been kept together. I am assuming like most of those army uniforms that the moths had eaten up the jacket and after it got soiled from flooding that they three the coat away. I really am glad we found those patches. Also was found a very small wooden shoe from Holland with hand painted scenes on it, also a pin cushion from France and letters that my dad had sent to my mom when they were first dating. All of these things are special to me now and I am glad that I can make sense of some of the things. I am going to quiz cousins about the photo though as maybe older cousins can figure the year it was taken. Thanks for reading....

1 comment:

Erin said...

Although the patches and pins and things are great to have, I'd be the most excited about those letters. That's the real history. You can actually see how you came to be. Things like that always entertain me! I still have a few little notes my mom wrote about me and to me, a couple of letters my grandparents wrote each other...and I love them more than anything that could be insured.