Saturday, May 30, 2009

Penny the dog and Plant Identification.....


My neighbor lost her 16 year old dog a few months back. She was really missing her dog. Yesterday she found a new Terrier at an animal rescue. Her name is Penny and she is about 5 months old. I got the privilege to take her first photos for her new mom. She is such a sweet little dog and I can see that she is going to make a great companion for my neighbor, Judy.


On a happy footnote, one of my blogger friends on my garden side of my interests, identified a plant for me. Far Side came through again with the answer. It was a plant that my mom had taken a start from a neighboring yard in Osceola, Iowa. My parent's property originally had a very old ornate Victorian house on it so the plant could have originated from my mom's own lot.
Her plant has grown very large and I took three starts from it. I wanted to call it a Japanese Peony, but they don't make them, I must be making that name up from who knows where. Anyway she identified it as a Fern Leafed Peony. She states that it is rare and hard to purchase. She sees it in a local cemetery growing there. I did see that one can buy seeds from Ebay, so maybe I need to watch the seed pods and start saving them. I don't want to make money from it as much of how fun it would be to grow them from seed.


Below is my original plea for help in identifying the plant. It was coming up and I couldn't find it's name.

WHAT IS THIS??????

6 comments:

Bren Haas said...

It is the Fern Leaf Peonies. Check out more at : http://springhillnursery.com/unique-peony-collection/p/03946/

You are super lucky to have one of these. I wish I had one in my garden here in the country. I completely forgot about it until I saw your photo.

ENJOY!!!!

Bren Haas said...

I found more at : http://www.fernleafpeony.com/

THought you might find this site interesting.
Stop by my garden sometime!

L. D. said...

Now that I have been to the nursery sites it makes this plan very interesting. Mine is a single bloom and not a double, or multiple petaled bloom. I may save seeds and start sending them out as time goes by. Thanks for helping me find the answers everyone.

ELAINE ERIG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so glad Penny found a new home, she looks very sweet..hopefully a great rescue story!
Enjoy your Fern Leaf Peony too! I wouldn't be so sure on the single bloom part, they may get more heavily petaled as they age ( in several years) you never can tell with this old variety of peony..anything is possible in the plant world..I have learned never to say never.
I had a gentleman in the greenhouse one day who told me that he had a whole row of these peonies..because they are highly sought after up here, since one bare root goes for 35 to 50 dollars.. and he took a tiller and tilled them all up and the next spring he had hundreds of them! I told him he was a very rich man..never saw him again! LOL Anyway yours are beautiful single, or double..:)

L. D. said...

My 100 year old neighbor has one that was there when she moved in and it was multiple petaled. I am not too bashful to trade roots from her and see what happens. Regardless, I am going to take all but a small part of the rest of it from my mom's place. The roots I took from it last fall didn't even make a dent in it's looks so it must be very tough. When I get my act together, two of my blogger friends are going to get seeds and maybe even roots. Hint, hint.