Thursday, May 21, 2009

Scattered brain day...

Most of you are already saying he is a lot nutty so nothing is new, but today I have no theme. I spent most of the day at mom's house yesterday, digging things from her garden to plant in my garden, mowing her yard, and also going to the cemetery.

I know this isn't the time to move Iris but if the place sells I don't get to go back to get them. I have dug iris from cemeteries before and I just put them in pots and leave them in the shade of my garden shed. In the fall they go into the ground. It does work.
My neighbor lady is part Lakota Indian and she went to a convention last year where they sold Aronia Berry bushes. She gave me one to grow as an insurance policy in case her plants didn't make it. Aronia Berry is a black chokecherry. It was a staple for the Indians as it added flavor to different foods for them. I saw on pbs that they dry buffalo meat and pound it into a powder and mixed it with aronia berries. It became like their trail mix that they could carry for nutrition out in the wilderness. I did hear them say that they have to be crushed to release the poison or toxic part of them into the air. Then they don't choke you.

Agapanthus plants are beautiful. When I first heard about them, the article said they were kind of boring in California as they are planted like filler plants and grew readily. Well not here in the central United States. They have to be placed in the basement to keep them from freezing. I have had two containers of these for about three years now and last year was the first time that one of them bloomed. I have reread information and that they need to be crowded and that I have not been fertilizing mine enough. As my two start to be reborn, I will get on a fertilizer schedule and see if I can get so more blooms.
My red twig dogwood is blooming this year for the first time. I read about these in Garden Design and a famous designer pruned his back every fall. They showed a mixture of yellow twig and red twig spaced in a design. His trimmed beds were probably six or seven feet in diameter. I don't know that I can stand not seeing those branches in the snow during the winter. I guess if one wants a thicker plant that it has to be pruned. Thanks for reading.....

No comments: