Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Boxed and sent yesterday.....


I finally bought a box to ship this quilt in to our youngest son who lives in Maine.  His Grandmother made it for him for graduation from high school and we needed to send it to him now that he has his own home.


I know the origins of some of these pieces but I am not sure my son will really care about them. I will probably review the yellow one for sure as it is from the scraps of his Grandmother's dress she made for the Murray, Iowa Centennial back in 1968.  Other scraps are from quilts that she had made earlier and a couple are from his Great Grandmothers scrap pile from making stuffed cloth hens and chickens.



I am not sure of the pattern of this quilt. I once thought it was the wedding band quilt but maybe it just is a nice pattern that she found to follow.  The intense red and blue piece is from a set of curtains my mom made for the windows of a van that dad had for a while.  Waste not, want not is the old motto for quiltmakers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If your son doesn't want this quilt, have him forward it to me! ;D

I love the stories it tells, you may be surprised that recalls some of the fabrics too.

Anonymous said...

It really is a beautifully-made quilt Larry. So very special that you remember the origin of many of the fabric scraps. There's a lot of history, love and hard work in that quilt.

Sunny said...

I LOVE quilts. This one is so beautiful and very special with its family history. What an exciting package to receive.
☼ Sunny

The Retired One said...

How lovely! I hope your son appreciates the love and patience this took for her to make.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's beautiful, a real piece of art!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a beautiful treasure! You should write it all down on a notecard all the fabrics that you remember:)