Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday's stuff............


I have found something more difficult to photograph than butterflies landing on flowers. It is my neighbor's Jack Russell Terrier.  Penny doesn't stop running to even allow you to get a focus.  I took shots of my leg, the tail of the dog, the blur of a speeding bullet and finally I got one good shot of her.


She is just laughing at me for even trying to get her to stand still. I was babysitting her. This means that I would go over and get her out of her crate and take her outside to run and chase her toys in the yard. I did this every two or three hours.  I felt that if she was being held hostage for a couple hour period that the least I could go do is go over and sit with her outside while she tore heck out of the grass, running around in the yard like a dog out of control. I don't think I would ever want to own the dog breed Terrier but I really did have a good time with her. I walked her a little on a long leash and she was hilarious, jumping up on tree stumps playing statue, looking for things living in the hay field, and just checking out everything that is out there.  If she were turned loose in the hay field she would just plow through it all like a bulldozer only in high gear.


My brother gave me this novelty onion that I will plant in pots to see what it does.  I gave him to take back to Arizona an Easter egg plant.  Two old men exchanging our vegetation species, how times have changed.

My brother is eight years older than me and we have not been extremely close.  Me being his baby brother, I always worried about when he would come home for a visit from Kansas City but then he was drafted into the army.  After the stint in the Army he and his wife moved away to Mesa, Arizona.

A two or three hour visit, over pizza does not make much of a relationship once a year or two and that is how it has been the past 30 years.  It was good to see him though and he was headed to his 50th high school class reunion on Saturday. Then he heads back to Arizona today.


I bought this red phlox many years ago and it has been not been a successful plant for me. I guess I will move it to an area with more sun. It never multiplies and it very late in blooming. As you can see here it is just starting to open up it's flowers.

I sold my radial arm saw yesterday and they are picking it up today. He asked if I would take ten dollars lest than the asking price and I agreed readily. Just get it out of my yard.

I am taking a day off today to let my body heal. I have lifted that saw on that heavy table too many times, I mowed yards for two days in a row, and I cleaned in the high heat for four days in the garden shed. My body is really feeling the old rickety muscle syndrome. I ache all over and hope maybe being lazy man today will help out some.

Everyone have a good Sunday and thanks for stopping by..........

4 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

I rather like the idea of "two old men exchanging vegetable species". As for trying to take pictures of ever-moving dogs - I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Good Sunday Morning Larry, Congrats on selling the saw. I hope the rest today will help your sore muscles. I'm glad you and your brother had time to visit and I'll be interested to see what that onion does. Penny is a bundle of energy - we had a neighbor with this breed. She was cute to watch but I did not think I could handle her long term! Hope the week ahead is great.

The Retired One said...

Hope you feel better soon! I have felt the same way lately...picking up all the apples falling in my apple orchard. LOL
My daughter has the same breed of dog. We always feel so bad for it..it is ultra hyper and shakes nervously even if you hold it...we have suggested doggie valium for it several times, but they haven't heeded our suggestions. ha

Kris said...

My common pink phlox always bloom better than other colored ones. My lavender and even the dark pink show less than the pink. One of mine is later than the rest which I like because it extends the blooms. Cute dog. You should post her tail and your feet. LOL