Thursday, August 12, 2010

Water, water everywhere..........

As of this period of time, the national news does not know that Iowa exists. The rains keep coming. Areas of central Iowa keep receiving large amounts of water each rain and the flooding is becoming dangerous. A teenage died in her car as a flash flood picked up her car and took it down stream. They finally found her car. Ames, Iowa the town of ISU has most of it's athletic facilities under water and no one can leave the town as there is a road flooded out in all directions. I 35 is closed south of there and Des Moines is now being affected. I-80 will probably be closed tomorrow.
The town of Colfax has 200 homes under water and any home along the Des Moines river is going to be affected if they haven't been already. None of the rivers have crested but are expected to crest late today or early tomorrow.  They just keep rising and all are above flood stage. We are told that this will be worse than our flood of 1993.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20100811/NEWS/100811005/-1/BUS/In-Ames-ISU-basketball-court-underwater-I-35-shut-down
 

I live on high ground so I will just continue on with my life at this point. I am awaiting to see how long it takes national news to even broadcast the news. I promised to show a picture of the tomatoes turning ripe on the vine.  We have eaten this tomato and it was very good.


My neighbors snapdragons are doing well. I took a few pictures the other day while babysitting her dog.


The new "knock out" rose is reblooming for it's third time. It has had a good year so far.


Lastly is this view of the last daylily,  I kept taking pictures of this for so many weeks and I think this is the very last one.  I have a hibiscus sitting near here that I need to get photographed for your view.

I have been cleaning out the spare room we have downstairs.  It was a handy room to keep my wifes father in for seven years. It worked well as his bedroom and tv room.  Now I am cleaning it out again to transform it into an extra studio for the two artists in the house.  While working in there I found things I didn't know that I had in there.  One thing I found was a baby chick that goes with my toy farm animals.  It was hiding in a button box of my mom's.  Also I found superman today hiding behind a bunch of books on the shelf.  The boys are now 35 and 32 years old so who knows how long he has been hanging out behind those books.  He looks in great shape and I will snap some pictures in the near future. 
Mowing tall grass and  rolling paint on 3 bedroom walls are on the list of to do's for today.  I will check in later.  Thanks for stopping by.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so tragic about the young girl in the flood waters. You are right, I had not heard this news on tv. The tomatoes sure make me hungry and the flower photos are very pretty. That daylily with the black eyed Susans is especially nice. I know you both will enjoy a new art studio and that is amazing about your finds in there. Can't wait to see Superman!

Rae said...

I thought of you when I heard about all the flooding. I wondered if you were in an area that was affected. I am glad to hear you are okay, but it is sad news for so many others. These 100 year floods are happening far too often. I think the forecasters need to find another name for them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I feel so sorry for anyone in a flood, it is no fun. I am glad you are high and dry. Great photos..the yellow snapdragons are beautiful! :)

Silverlining said...

The weather is relative. Flooding is worse than drought. The color of the flowers you post are perfect! The Snapdragons are so cheerful. The tomatoes are so colorful. Thank you for sharing.