Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Garden shed, in and out.........


I couldn't find the big picture of the whole shed but this will do.  I think I have a nice one in winter but the best ones are when it was just built 7 years ago.   I spent the day cleaning out and building shelves.  I didn't get done as two hours in the heat, 103 degree index, finally just had to quit.


On the north end I built this trellis from recycled wood.  I don't always get vines to grow on it.  I had planted lots of things next to it but it rained so much it got swampy.  Also the visiting kitten brood liked being around the trellis and trampled them down as they came up from the ground.  Eventually I was able to get a morning glory vine to live and also an  Asian melon plant to live.


I have better photos of this but I am saving them for my photo blog.  It is a different flower to be as it has very subtle lines of color in it instead of the more pronounce lines you usually see in the flower.


My shed was the dumping ground for my art things that I brought home from my classroom when I retired.  The cow skull was given to me by Mickie Smeltzer when I first came to this school. That had to be over 25 years ago. I felt complete as an art teacher because I owned it.  The legs of the rocking horse are sticking out upside down as I need to rearrange all of that stuff.  The lantern was a still-life item also that the students drew.


As a dumping ground, I needed to build shelves for all it.  The pottery pieces are things the kids didn't take home. I see I have an antique small skillet in there from my grandma's farm.  I made four different shelves and emptied a bunch of boxes.  I will throw away some of it as I live with it for a while.


 I found this out there among the piles of things. I took this photo as I sat it on one of my new shelves.  That shelf hasn't been loaded down yet as I might save it for gardening things.  The iron is from my Grandma Brooks,  I don't know if I should sand it down to clean it or just leave it the way it is.  I will take it into the house soon.  I remember when it was used as a doorstop.

I will return and clean out the shed more.  I have a hanging saw that I want to sell this weekend at the garage sale extravaganza.  I am going to put it out with a large price tag on it.  I want it out of the shed as it takes up three square feet of space by three foot high just for the table.

I will talk about our very large garage sale later on. It covers about 15 towns along highway 141. The saw is the only thing that I am going to sell.

Thanks for stopping by........

3 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What neat fun things. DH has collected skulls, etc. since he was a kid. He also is an artist. He bought an old school complete skeleton all wired together many, many years ago and has it out in his workshop, with a Grateful Dead tee shirt on it and a fake parrot on his shoulder or arm.

I love the old iron, your bird houses are cute but wait, what is that neat looking funky terra cotta colored piece behind the bird houses?

I love the look of your shed. Having our own sheds is fun.

That morning glory is a wonderful color.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

That Morning Glory is a beautiful shocking pink color! I would just clean up that old iron..I have one I just cleaned it up and then glued a piece of felt on the bottom so it doesn't scratch anything. The felt does not take away from its value. I want to hear more about the garage sale ..when is it to take place? :)

Polar Bear said...

Great photos. My wife observed the baloon festival in south west and her pictures are similar. Beautiful photo images. Polar Bear