Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Vines and trellis..........


It is amazing what a months worth of growth can do for morning glory plants.  I had one start up and it is twisted around a hoe leaning against the corner of the building.  I chose to leave it as I have another hoe.


I created the trellis a few years back from salvaged wood from the school dumpster.  It is funny how one designs with what supplies that you have and it determines the size of the resulting product.  I would have liked it to be about a foot taller but I am pretty pleased with it.  The vine in the foreground is an Asian Mellon.  I bought the seeds from a lumberyard that was carrying seed saver products.  It is an heirloom seed but I don't see any blooms on the plant.  It is on the north so it probably isn't getting enough hot sun.


The trumpeting of the morning glory is wonderful.  I first saw them when I was a kid while walking cornfields in southern Iowa.  The were a smaller variety which was wild and they were always blue.

Thanks for stopping in.........

6 comments:

Sunny said...

I like your trellis design and your Morning Glories are so pretty. Once they start growing, they'll 'grab' anything in the way!
☼ Sunny

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your trellis is really nice, and great being made from recycled wood. I love morning glories. They make me feel happy. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

FlowerLady

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely trellis! The morning glories around my greenhouse door have reached out to decorate the grapevine wreath hanging there.

scottweberpdx said...

Love Morning Glory...I fist saw them the same way...at the edges of cornfields in Nebraska...loved them then, love them now.

The Retired One said...

The plant is SO LUSH and the flower is magnificent.

Far Side of Fifty said...

This plant did really well there..that is a great trellis! :)