Friday, November 29, 2013

Birdland........


The nuthatch is such a fun bird to watch while he is at the feeder.  He is a hyperactive bird and can be seen crawling all over, up and down the feeder itself.  I would like to be able to photograph this bird walking down, up side down, the main post that holds the feeder.  Their feet are designed for them to crawl up and down and around tree trunks. I did see him dip into my suet feeder but he wasn't that impressed.


The house sparrows really prefer to be on the ground.  I have a feeder hanging near our dining room window and they do hit that hard feeding from it.  They like to shuffle their feet in the seed and it makes it land all over the ground.  As you can see the three sparrows are cleaning up the mess on the basement outside door.


I don't know why this guy is so friendly but I have so many pictures of him.  I think I will just share a picture of him each day.  He looks like he is becoming more brown on his back now that it is winter. It is nice to finish a blog with a colorful photo so I guess he will be the one.  The female still doesn't come around that often.  I forgot to tell you that I bought some good birdseed the other day.  I placed about two cups of it on the feeder with my leftover cockatiel food.  He was there in less than four minutes.  I have read that they smell seed and he sure did dig in right away on the sunflower seeds.

We are going to take the day off today and spend sometime being nonworking people.  A day off for slumming is good.  We may venture off in the car for awhile this morning but be home the rest of the day.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

PS.  Are house sparrows also called English sparrows  or is it just that house sparrows came from England?

2 comments:

Ela said...

Wow ! What a lovely birds especially my favourite sparrows !
Have a nice weekend !

Anonymous said...

When I visit family friend, Mary, I am entertained by nuthatches. They are so whimsical walking up and down the trees.
I really love the Cardinal. He sure was quick to find your new bird seed!
Glad you are having a day of rest. I think you both needed it!