Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Wednesday's Wanderings......


My wife is making apple pie today along with a pumpkin pie.  I will be involved with the peeling of the apples.  I may go ahead and peel a second batch of apples to ready them for the freezer.  Then they can become a pie at a later time.  We are not cooking anything for Thanksgiving special but we like to have pie as part of the season.  We won't have any visitors this year.  My wife usually makes mince meat pie at Christmas time.


I have some newer pictures on the digital and they won't come off until this afternoon so I will share more ceramics.  I bought this rooster at the same antique mall as the duck I shared yesterday.  I again say that I miss that mall. It did close a few years back but I don't go to Osceola, Iowa anymore anyway.  The chicken is not a planter but a free standing ceramic piece.


I really think it looks more like a hen when I  view it from this angle.  Some people may know what breed of chicken that it is but I don't.  It reminds me of the small Bantams we use to have on the farm that the neighbor gave to my brother.  The were a very small chicken that took care of themselves year round living in the machine shed.  The chicks each spring were the smallest little creatures. Zoos that have small farm themed areas usually have a few of them running around free in their barnyards.

It is very cold today, especially this morning, but it will warm up to 24 degrees F.  this afternoon.  Tomorrow it will get up to 33 degrees so we do have a warming trend started. The sun is shining though and the snow storms look like they will have headed into the Atlantic Ocean by this evening.  It will be nice if it stops raining and snowing by tomorrow.


Fall is completely gone now and we are into a full winter season.  The phlox did a strange thing this year.  The leaves are frozen on the stems and they are still green.  I suppose if it warms enough for them to thaw that they will then turn to a dead withered look for the winter.

It is a day of doin odd jobs all day and also taking it easy.  I brought in the last of the  patio cushions and umbrella yesterday and shoveled some snow off of areas so the dogs can better get around in the backyard.  No one in the neighborhood cleared their walks for some reason of this past snow.  I guess the next snow will mean we will have to get on it.

Thanks for stopping in to visit my blog. Take care all of you.

5 comments:

Ela said...

Yummm ! I love an apple pie :)
Greetings !

Anonymous said...

I love apple pie. John's fav is pumpkin.

I wish you both a blessed and restful Thanksgiving.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I knew you would get a pie! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Della!
That chicken is similar to the ones my grandmother had...probably made by the same company:)

Kris said...

Have a lovely day, you two. And enjoy those pies - they look/sound delicious.

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Larry!