Saturday, November 23, 2013

Looking Out.........


My view out of the window this morning shows what has become of Iowa.  It was 8 degrees F, -14 degrees C., when we checked our thermometer.  It usually is the second thing that I do after letting the dogs out is to check the temperature.  It was actually 8.4 degrees F.  and you look twice when it is a single digit.


The birds were hitting the feeder this morning.  The juncos are down from the north country and the sparrows are always around.  I feed recycled food from the cockatiel's feeder trays.  I will go by some real seed soon to bring in more birds. We didn't use to have juncos.  I don't know if they decided not to go so far south or if they didn't use to come into town.  I had to look them up in the bird book to see what they were as they are so different that the sparrow.


This cardinal has been hanging around the past two weeks at the feeder as we were getting colder.  We haven't seen them for awhile.  I guess I did see the female out at the garden shed eating some seeds form trees a few weeks ago. I shared this and one other photo on my Photo a Day blog today. I will be glad to see how many pair we will have at the feeder this year.  Only one pair last year but the year before we had three pair.  It all will depend on who all is out there feeding the birds in the neighborhood.  I know the neighbor lady near here does feed them, because I sometimes fill her feeders for her, but my flat tray feeder is better for cardinals.

We are not done with this cold illness but it is better.  I still will be doing very little today trying to get all of the lung stuff gone and the stomach pain straighten out.  We have been eating selectively things that don't upset our stomachs and also that don't taste too strange.  When I go back to drinking coffee I know that I am cured.  I posted a Christmas mug the other day but I have only been drinking tea.

With it being so cold I don't think I will venture out today.  I may sweep off the side steps but the feeders were filled last night and I don't have far to bring in the garbage can.  No traveling though is even planned.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Most all of my blogging friends are cold today.  Everyone try to stay warm.

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cold here too...but you win the snow award! Rest up today! Today is a no cook day for us, my sister in law next door is having Thanksgiving early at her house!
I see my Juncos arrived! Up here we call them snow birds. I am envious of your Cardinals:)

L. D. said...

From the research of the Junco, I see they are coming from Canada where they live in the summer. A junco is classified as a sparrow and one can hear it on the internet as it makes its call.

Vicki Lane said...

We lived in Iowa City one year when my husband was in grad school. The winter was a bit of a shock, to say the least, to two folks who'd grown up in Florida.

Ela said...

I love the birds eating !
Your cardinal is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

We are currently in the 50's but a front is coming through and we are to drop drastically. I just visited your other blog. It's nice to watch the birds during the winter months when there's nothing new in the garden/yard. I see a new photo of AJ on your sidebar too. He is a precious boy.
I am on a soft/non-sticky diet due to dental work; I am craving something crunchy!!!
Sure hope you both feel better soon. Hot tea would be the best but I love at least 1 cup of coffee per day.