Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday's Mindful...........

Even though we have had a few hard freezes this sedum is still green.  It is some of the last green that I can find out there in the yard.  The stems have given way to the freezing and I am sure the rest of the plants will turn brown soon. 


On the west corner of my property the moss loves to grow on the very old sidewalk.  It is shaded there because of the pear tree and some spirea bushes.  The water runs down the hill from the neighbors property so it stays wet as the sidewalk acts as the drainage ditch.  

 
There is very little green to see in this shot.  One of the students in shop class made this iron man and gave it to me.  He can't be seen very well but in the fall he has a subtle appearance as he blends with all the dried leaves.

I am back a work today moving slow but for sure.  I brought coffee in a thermos and a handful of tea bags to keep my throat from drying out with the cold that I had.  I feel 80 per cent stronger and it will be an ok day in the middle school 8th grade English classes.  It isn't my favorite age group in this particular school but I am up to the challenge.   I see speeches are scheduled for some of the classes and cupcakes, which are related to their speeches, are sitting around the room ready for eating during the speech.  It looks like it could be an ok thing. 

I hope everyone is ok out there.  I knew bloggers for a while from the tornado area but they did drop off from the blog world. I hope they are ok.  When we had our tornado in town 8 years ago, we had this very same weather.  It was very warm and humid and it was colder in the northern states.  That mixture of the warm and cold created far less tornados but the one we had went on for miles closing down an ISU football game as it kept moving northeast.  The freight train sound is one you don't forget as the tornado comes up your street.  I do hope there aren't any more people found dead out there.  I see the storm is stretching almost to the end of the United States up to Maine where our youngest son lives.



Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, we can put the upper part of the sedum stem in the ground now, and in spring we have a brand new plant. My daddy loved sedum and would transplant and multiply them every fall.
That's a cute iron man and a good reminder of how your students have admired you.
I watched a lot of the storm coverage yesterday. So tragic for so many folks.
Glad you are feeling better.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those storms are awful. Cupcakes...too bad it is not pie day at school:)